Friday, April 9, 2010

(4/10/2010)

Long neglected blog...we meet again. Since the last update, my centennial plant has be growing slowly but surely. The three sprouts now stand about 4 inches tall with leaves that have drastically increased in size. Considering how the growing season went last year, I have come to realize I shouldn't expect too much of a harvest this year. I my only hope is that the plant becomes well established and is ready to deliver next year.

On a happier note, I have decided to brew a double IPA on Sunday. I still am not quite certain of the specifics, but I do know I will be using the hop bursting technique. I plan to get at least 50% of the total bitterness from the last 20 minutes or later of the boil. I know the base will be American 2-row with maybe a little light crystal. I find that too much caramel flavor isn't the best suited to my tastes. I might also mix in a bit of Munich malt for a biscuit/malty flavor with out the big addition of sweetness and some table sugar to dry the whole thing out. I have the initial recipe worked up in Beer Smith with an OG of 1.079 with 81 IBU. Once I have the whole thing sorted out, I will post the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment