Friday, February 26, 2010

(2/26/2010)

I have come to realize that I am slow to post anything new and for this, I appologize. Well...this week I have some interesting thoughts for anyone out there. I unknowingly scheduled myself off two days off in a row this week and I couldn't have been happier. On Tuesday, my first day off I prepared for my first exam in my masters class which ended up being a great idea. On Wednesday, (my second day off), I decided to brew 5 gallons of anything that was a lager. After much deliberation, I found a good looking clone of Yuengling and I decide Meghan (my wife) would absolutely love this recipe.

After a great brew day I pitched my yeast and as of 48 hours later nothing had happened. The Wyeast package I pitched only swelled slightly after being activated for over 5 hours. I guess this was the major reason for concern. This was my first lager...and to date I have never had a bad brew (specificallly meaning infection). After reading much through the Wyeast website, I concluded I could wait 36 hours before seeing any activity. After a full 48 hours I didn't know what to do, but then I realized I had a re pitch of Wyeast 1098 in the fridge. I decided to pitch 100ml of Wyeast 1098 to save my beer. About 6 hours later, the 1098 has depleted all of the O2 and begun to ferment the beer, evident from the full kausen on the beer.

Hopefully I will have better luck next time. I am vary happy that I was able to slavage the beer after 48 hours of lag time. I think I will try to use several dry yeast packets the next time to ensure the proper pitching rates rates.

One last thing... Paradocs, I absolutley love the names you give your beers especially the IRA...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the props on the beer names!
    Keep up the good work out there at your brewery, and looking forward to sampling some soon.

    ReplyDelete